Inside: Does the sight of dust in your home aggravate you? If you’re looking for the best dusting tools that will help banish dust from your house for longer and make your life easier, you’re in the right place. Check out the best dusting tools and our reviews, below. This post contains affiliate links. Learn more here.
Long-suffering, back-breaking, brutal…
…these are just a few of the words that I associate with dusting.
Day after day, week after week, I find myself doing the exact same thing:
Reaching deep into all the crevices and cracks in my house to wipe various surfaces.
Then, helplessly watching with aggravation as the dust and grime starts collecting again less than an hour later.
If you’re looking for ways to make dusting your house less miserable… you’re in the right place.
Let’s take a look at the top 12 best dusting tools that will banish dust from your house and not only cut down on the amount of time it takes to dust, but also allow you to dust your home less frequently.
Quick Overview of the 12 Must-Have Dusting Tools:
12 Must-Have Dusting Tools in Your Home Cleaning Kit
- For General Dusting:
- Ultra soft, non-abrasive microfiber cloths will not scratch paints, coats or other surfaces
- Cleans with or without chemical cleaners, leaves lint and streak free results
- Absorbs eight times its own weight
The best, and simplest, tool to have in your home cleaning kit for all general dusting needs is a handful of microfiber cleaning cloths.
Microfiber cleaning cloths are made from very small fibers, with these fibers being woven closely together. This allows the cleaning cloths to pick up even the tiniest particles of dust that would get left behind when using other cleaning cloths or rags.
To put it into perspective, one microfiber is finer than a single strand of silk, with a diameter of fewer than 10 micrometers. (source)
In comparison to a regular cotton cleaning cloth that pushes dirt and dust around rather than picking it up, most microfiber cloths can hold up to 7 times their weight in water (though these specific microfiber cloths can absorb up to 8 times their weight), and thanks to the numerous split fibers, they actually pick up the dust and debris that you are trying to eliminate from your home, rather than just push it around.
Due to the many tiny fibers that make up a microfiber cloth, they can not only pick up dirt, dust, and debris, but they can also snag bacteria up as you wipe over surfaces, which means these cloths work exceptionally in cleaning all surfaces with just water.
(That’s right, when you use microfiber cleaning cloths there’s no need for expensive and chemical-packed detergents and cleaners. Simply dampen the cloth with some water and start cleaning, or just use a dry cloth!)
- All-Purpose Cleaner
- Plant-Based, Biodegradable Cleaning Ingredients: Formulated with powerful natural cleaning agents like soap bark, corn and coconut and scented with clary sage and citrus extracts that break down and return to nature while being gentle on the planet.
- Powerful Clean, Naturally: Our All Purpose Cleaner combines plant-based power and peace of mind, leaving your surfaces sparkling clean and smelling fresh, naturally!
- Spray on Any Mess, Anywhere: Toilets, countertops, appliances, upholstery, baseboards, walls, floors, tables, showers, boats, cars, sporting equipment, toys – nothing’s off limits!
Though using an all-purpose cleaner – or any cleaner at all – is not necessary if you clean with microfiber cleaning cloths, you may still desire the sense of security that using cleaner offers.
In that case, this natural all-purpose cleaner is the way to go, especially if you don’t want to fill your house with chemicals.
Dampening your cleaning cloths with an all-purpose spray will help them pick dirt and dust up off of surfaces even more efficiently.
The Better Life Natural All-Purpose cleaner is made from 100% plant-derived cleaning agents, so if the reason you don’t use cleaners is that you want to keep chemicals away from your home – this all-purpose spray is the answer you didn’t know you were looking for.
It truly is an all-purpose cleaner, effectively working to clean household items from countertops to toilets and kid’s toys. This cleaner is safe to use on all surfaces that are water-safe.
- Extendable Duster
- Traps and holds dust without the need for cleaning chemicals; Extends up to 53" with a quick twist
- Generous Microfiber head covers a large surface with every swipe
- Microfiber head can rotate 270 degrees and lock in multiple angles for dusting versatility
For those hard-to-reach places that you would normally have to hunt down the step-ladder to get at (or, more realistically, just leave) this extendable microfiber duster will get the job done without your feet having to leave the floor.
This extendable duster is complete with a microfiber head, which collects and picks up more dirt and grime that other materials do, and is ideal for dusting ceiling fans, corners, walls, ceilings, and ledges that you can’t see or reach.
The head rotates 270 degrees and locks into the position that you choose, making dusting angles much easier when you can simply move the head into the desired position rather than trying to maneuver your body to get just the right angle. It also extends from 24-inches up to 53-inches with a simple twist and adjustment of the pole.
The microfiber cleaning head unsnaps and can be thrown right into the laundry to be cleaned (according to the washing instructions) and used over and over.
- Flexible Hand Wand
- Connects to telescoping handle for increased reach
- Bends and conforms to dust irregular shapes
- Washable duster sleeve
This Rubbermaid Microfiber flexible hand wand makes dusting vents, book shelves, furniture, railings, and odd-shaped fixtures easy.
It can easily attach to the Rubbermaid telescoping handle for extended reach, though it’s important to note that this extendable handle is sold separately.
If you already have an extendable duster than bends, this flexible dusting wand isn’t necessary. But, this dusting wand may be more beneficial to some people than an extendable duster.
- Electronic Duster
- Swiffer 360° Dusters TRAP + LOCK up to 3x more* dust & allergens.** *vs. feather duster, **common inanimate allergens from cat and dog dander & dust mite matter
- Specially coated fibers grab onto dust & don't let go
- Uniquely designed to Trap + Lock dust from every direction.
Dusting electronics with a rag can be tedious and aggravating. Simply letting the cleaning cloth drift over the electronic doesn’t do the trick, but you don’t want to push too hard and risk damaging what you’re cleaning.
A soft, lightweight Swiffer duster picks up dust from surfaces and gets into all the nooks and crannies between keyboard keys and other fragile electronics without damaging them.
The coated fibers on this Swiffer duster collects and traps 3x more dust and allergens compared to a feather duster, making it easy and effective to use on not only electronics but also many other surfaces in your home as well.
- Dusting Under Appliances
- Duster flexes to clean under items and in between tight spaces
- Ideal for kitchen appliances, washer, dryer, Venetian blinds, deep cabinets and more
- Two types of microfiber: thin cloth side provides maximum contact cleaning
Dusting and/or vacuuming under appliances is something that rarely happens. Either you just don’t think to dust under there, you think of it but your vacuum/arm doesn’t reach, or you try to ignore it as much as possible in hopes that the dust will just disappear.
But just because you ignore the dust doesn’t mean it isn’t there.
This under-appliance microfiber duster actually fits under squishy appliances, in the crevices between ovens and cupboards, down the dyer vent, and most anywhere else you rarely dust because it’s too much work to pull the whole appliance out.
Using this dusting tool will save your back, thanks to no longer having to move large appliances. And your allergies will thank you, because now when you dust your whole house you’re actually getting all the dust (instead of spending 2 long, dreadful hours dusting only to still wake up stuffy in the mornings because of all the dust and debris left in places you can’t see).
- Best Blind Duster
- This blinds duster is made of high quality sturdy polyethylene, sturdy and durable. Great for clean your window blinds, air conditioner blind, car blinds and works well with cleaner.
- A handy blind cleaner that does a great job cleaning off the dust. FOR THE HEAVY DUST AND TOUGH TO CLEAN BLINDS, PLEASE USE THIS DUSTER WITH CLEANING SPRAYS TO MAKE CLEANING EASIER!
In case you haven’t noticed yet… microfiber is the only way to go when it comes to dusting if you truly want to pick up all the grime and even the smallest specks of dust.
The blinds are another area in the home that often get neglected because… who wants to spend hours cleaning blinds?!?
But, if left unattended to, blinds will collect dust and over time it can become caked on, meaning that a simple swish over the blinds with a duster won’t work well enough to remove the caked-on grime.
In this case, you’re going to want real blind dusters.
These units are almost like tongs. They grip onto the blinds, cleaning both top and bottom at the same time, ensuring you can remove all the dust from the blinds easily.
To prevent your blinds from getting a buildup of dust on them, it’s best to use a blind duster on them weekly.
- For Dusting Fabric
- Picks up lint, fur, fuzz, hair and debris for a crisp, clean look
- Reliable Scotch Brand adhesive ; Handle Material : Plastic
- Tears cleanly down to the last sheet
Leather furniture offers easier cleaning, allowing you to simply wipe the debris off the surface. Using a cleaning rag on fabric furniture, however, would simply push all the grime deeper into the fabric, not cleaning it at all.
When it comes to cleaning fabric furniture, lampshades, curtains, and more, using a vacuum with an upholstery head cleans the best, but for those times when you don’t want to lug your whole vacuum out to pick a few crumbs off of your furniture or dust the lampshades, a quick swipe over the fabric with a lint roller will do the trick.
- For Dusting Screens
- Advanced Electronic Cleaning Wipes – These wipes can be used on a variety of tech equipment, including TV screens, smartphones, laptops, tablets, cameras, and more.
- Anti-Static, Surface Safe Use – MiracleWipes for Electronics are designed to clean external areas on electronic devices and won’t cause damages to screens or surfaces.
- Streak-Free Clean – These gentle electronic cleaner wipes help lift away fingerprints, food particles, spills, watermarks, and skin oils while leaving behind a clear finish.
Removing dust and fingerprints from screens without leaving behind a streaky surface can feel impossible unless you have a good quality microfiber cleaning rag with a drying rag to follow behind.
In the case where you want to quickly clean TV, camera, phone, or computer screens, these MracleWipes work wonders. They dry quickly, leaving behind a streak-free finish.
The wipes lift away everything from fingerprints, food particles, spills, water spots, and skin oils all without damaging the electronics.
- Removing Dust From Hard Floors
- ✓ PREMIUM QUALITY: Want a professional commercial grade floor mop for your home, apartment, dorm, office, bathroom,...
- ✓ BEST VALUE : Aluminum mop handle and large strong metal head. Rotating 360 spin head, industrial grade mop...
- ✓ MACHINE WASHABLE / ECO-FRIENDLY : Turbo cleaning mops come with 2 washable microfiber pads that can be reused,...
This professional commercial grade floor mop works exceptionally well at removing dust and dirt from hard floors including tile, hardwood, bamboo, concrete, stone, and laminate.
You can quickly run the mop over the floor dry to pick up dust and loose dirt, extending the telescoping handle to reach under furniture without moving it.
The microfiber pads work just as well wet as they do dry, so you know you’re removing even the most minuscule specks of dust from the floor.
After you’ve removed loose dirt and grime with the dry mop (or with a vacuum), you can wet the microfiber mop pads and run over the floor again to get a deeper clean.
- Removing Dust From Carpets & Rugs
- Every Bissell purchase helps save pets. Bissell proudly supports Bissell Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Powerful pet hair pick up in a lightweight and agile design
- Tangle-Free brush roll eliminates annoying hair wrap. Power Rating:7 Amps
Carpets and rugs seem to be a magnet for all things dust, dirt, and hair. The debris gets ground deep into the fibers of the carpet, making them exceptionally difficult to get out.
When shopping for a good vacuum, you must keep in mind the kind of flooring you will be using the vacuum on. Not just any only vacuum works for really cleaning carpets.
This BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Turbo vacuum was designed specifically for use on carpets. Meaning, it cuts deep through the shag to reach the dirt that has been ground into the base of the carpet, successfully removing it without harming your rugs, working well on both low and high pile carpets.
Plus, this vacuum won’t break the bank.
Looking for other affordable vacuum cleaners? Here’s our list of the best inexpensive vacuum cleaners you can get your hands on.
- Removing Dust From The Air
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
A HEPA air purifier to rid dust from the air in your home is recommended by experts. This is especially useful if you suffer from allergies, or if you hate to see dust settling on surfaces you just dusted not 10 minutes prior.
When purchasing an air purifier, keep in mind the size of the room/area the air purifier will be working in, then be sure to buy one that can handle the size and workload.
This Winix 5500-2 with True HEPA captures 99.97% of pollutants in the air. This includes dust mites, dander, pollen, and any other allergy-inducing pests down to 0.3 microns in size.
This one particular is rated for up to 360 square feet, which is equivalent to medium and large rooms such as kid’s rooms, family rooms, and kitchens.
Conclusion: The Best Dusting Tools to Get Right Away
Using the best dusting tools on this list will take dusting from longsuffering, back-breaking, and brutal and make it… bearable.
By both lessening the amount of time you spend dusting and making dusting easier, you’ll be able to remove more dust from your house. This means you’ll end up having to dust less often because now there will be less dust flying around waiting to land on the surfaces you just dusted.
Instead, that dust will be wiped, brushed, and sucked up to be gone for good.
This means you get more time to spend doing things you enjoy (aka – not dusting).